Colgate University used OpaVote for a faculty election in March 2013.
New version of OpaVote launched!
Over the past six months, I've been working on a new version of OpaVote with many new features and improvements. Today, the new version of OpaVote is live!
The key new features of this version are:
- Elections can now have up to 1 million voters (previous limit was 40,000).
- Elections and polls can now count votes using OpenSTV and present the results using colorful bar charts.
- Multiple contests (e.g., President, Vice-President, and Secretary) per election.
- Can use traditional voting (e.g., check a box) instead of ranked voting. This provides a better user interface when selecting one of two options.
There are many other improvements as well, including the following:
- Can use rich formatting in your election description such as lists, links, and bold using markdown syntax.
- Can see a preview of the election page and the voter emails before starting the election.
- Much shorter voting links.
- More options to prevent voters from voting more than once in polls.
- Can choose to make results and ballots available during voting or only after the end of the election (most useful for polls).
- Switched to Google's high-replication datastore for greater speed and reliability.
Please feel free to try out and let me know what you think.