Colgate University used OpaVote for a faculty election in March 2013.
Single Transferable Vote (STV)
- Establish the winning threshold.
- Count the first place votes.
- Transfer votes from one candidate to other candidates:
- If one or more candidates have surplus votes (votes in excess of the winning threshold), then transfer votes from the candidate with the largest surplus.
- Otherwise, eliminate the last place candidate and transfer those votes.
- If not all seats have been filled, then go to step (3).
A commonly used threshold is defined as
number of votes threshold = --------------------- + 1 number of seats + 1and then dropping any fraction. This is the smallest threshold such that any candidate receiving this number of votes is guaranteed to be elected.
Methods for transferring surplus votes can be classified into two main groups: random transfer of votes and fractional transfer of votes. Methods for transferring votes from eliminated candidates do not vary greatly.